In the spirit of NaNoWriMo preparations, I dug out the still unfinished manuscript I had worked on during NaNoWriMos 2010 & 2011. I read through it at last night’s write-in with my local writing group. A lot of re-writing needs to happen if I decide to move forward with it as a novel. There is a clear distinction of what was written first and what was written much later. The later items are well-written and beautiful. The rest needs a ton of help.
Unfortunately, the bulk of the main story line was written first so I’m perplexed over what to do with it now. Not sure the main story line can be salvaged to turn it into what I want it to be. This was the first project where I attempted structure poetry. It was foreign, distant being when I began. I got more and more comfortable as time went on.
Still, I’ve predominately just done traditional poetry for the past two years so I’m not sure I’ll be able to do justice to “structured” poetry. Nevertheless, I am going to try and do something with Reaper’s Moon during NaNoWriMo 2014 if I can keep my manic nature in check.
Although it seems strange, I am glad that I ended up leaving Reaper’s Moon alone for awhile. It makes the errors and the successes easier to recognize.