Simple Things Thursday – Establishing Normalcy

A week and a half ago, I began moving into my new place even though it wasn’t done yet. This past weekend, things were finished up and should have been completely done, but the stove started shooting out sparks. The sparks started a small fire. Queue the need for new stove which should be arriving today. For all intents and purposes, I live in my new place full-time now. Anubis, the feline overlord, arrived here on Sunday much to his terror. He’s slowly getting use to the noises and quirks of this place.

I may not have a functional kitchen yet but I have the rest of the basics.

After two years of living with other people and one year without my feline overlord, it is very strange for it to just be the two of us.

After two years of having 80% of everything I own in boxes, it is strange to unpack. The process reminds me of unearthing unknown treasures.

I am grateful the rehab process on the new place is done. I am grateful that I have been able to move in this month, and move in at my own pace. I had hoped to move in October but it was beginning to look like December for such. More than happy to split the difference in the end.

Since moving in, I’ve experience one blizzard that was to be a trace of snow, and another blizzard which turned out to be nothing but really strong winds with very cold temperatures. Very grateful, however, for the warm weather during the days of home rehab and repair.

Once I finish settling in this week (next week?), things will be start getting back to normal on this blog. I did think I had set up Poetry Wednesday for the month of November. Alas, I did not. Oh well. It is NaNoWriMo after all which – by some miracle – I have managed to keep up with despite all the rehab, repair, and moving chaos.

Tuesday Tabellion – Changes Leading to November

Tomorrow is the day where I finally have access to my new home. It isn’t time to move yet though. The entire bathroom needs replacing as does all of the flooring. The kitchen may need to be gutted and restored too. I continue to be optimistic that the move can happen during the last week of October so I can be “moved in” in time for National Novel Writing Month.

November is quickly sneaking up on me. I suspect that I will be “pantsing” any novel-writing attempt or focusing solely on poetry writing. I haven’t written a poem in 3 weeks so poetry writing for NaNoWriMo isn’t a horrific idea.

The next few weeks will be very different for me schedule-wise. If I’m not at the new place working, I will be at my mom’s house moving boxes from the basement, living room, and guest room to the garage so they can be easily loaded into my car. Once the new flooring is in, I will – most likely – make daily trips out to the new place to deposit the boxes and unload the critical ones (the kitchen items).

Extremely intent on my mission to move during October. There are doubters to my cause but I remain focused.

Even though I think the new place is still a bit too large – at 920 square feet – and has one too many rooms, I’m grateful for the extra room as all the boxes will go there until unpacking which will leave the other functional rooms unburdened with clutter. Thus assisting greatly with my creative focus. A focus I currently do not possess because I am so entrenched in the rehab and moving intentions.

Once the move and NaNoWriMo are over, I plan to be more active with this blog and blogging in general. I have ideas, plans, and goals for this. I also have ideas, plans, and goals for novels. Novels will be my primary focus. I plan to take two-three months and spend a bulk of the time outlining then writing the first drafts of a couple different novels.

*fingers crossed*

Tuesday Tabellion – Writer’s Block…of Wood, Plaster, and Cement

I had all these grand plans for this blog, starting in July, but so little came to be. I had grand plans to finish Yowl & Yarrow too yet it sits at 40% completion. There is an excellent reason for these shortcomings, and it is made from wood, plaster, cement.

At the beginning of the month, I came across a listing of decent price for what my family wanted to purchased for their financial benefit and my residential benefit. A week later, the bid was in, accepted, and we hopped the whirlwind to a quick close date. Last week was the closing. I will be moving soon. Not entirely sure on how soon is soon, but I’m hoping it is before the end of 2015.

All this inherent chaos with the closing and the prospect of moving has rather killed my drive to do any writing. Mostly, I’m just tired for a wide variety of reasons including the closing. I am excited that I will be getting my own place soon. Just trying to be not too excited or optimistic since there’s a lot of loose ends hanging around which can prolong the process. The longer the process goes and the more excited I am, the more pissed off and disillusioned I’ll get about the process.

One potential other good thing to come out of July is the opportunity to sell my books at a new bookstore opening up in Longmont, Colorado which will only stock books by authors in Colorado, primarily Northern Colorado. Local Editions is officially opening for business on August 15th, and it will copies of Passion & Prudence on hand. I am certain that there will be further mention of Local Editions in the near future.

NaPoWriMo and the Unfortunate

While I have written more than thirty poems this month, I have been bad at post a poem a day to this blog. Chaos happened, plans changed (again), and I was left wondering – ‘What the hell is happening and why don’t I really have a say in it?’

I had intended to hit the 2000th poem mark by the end of the month. This is highly unlikely. Currently at 1975 with next to no writing time for the rest of the month. I MIGHT be able to eek out the 25 but not holding my breath.

Three poems away from finishing Vervain & Vice. Seven poems in Yowl & Yarrow. Decided to waiting to start Hallow & Hearth after I finish Yowl & Yarrow.

As I write this, I am trying distract myself from the fact that I have a week’s worth of work which needs to be accomplished by tomorrow because of the aforementioned chaos and changed plans.

This weekend, I am “moving” again but it is entirely temporary. Already annoyed by having to live out of bags and boxes for ~20 months, now I get to live out of suitcase for a few months. Ever so exciting…not. My homebody-esque nature is finding this all moving and constant state of situational upheaval very frustrating. Have to keep telling myself this is temporary yet it doesn’t stop me from waking up in anger and/or panic nearly every morning.

Keep forging ahead in hopes of improvement.

NaNoWriMo 2014 – Days 3, 4, and 5

I have been feeling under the weather the past couple of days. I have managed to keep up with the word count by writing whatever pops into my head when I sit down to the computer. Not useful toward my goals for Reaper’s Moon, Elysian & Ether, and Nightmares & Nevermore but sick me was of the opinion that words were words. I managed to get myself together long enough to attend a write-in this evening, Day 5, where some poetry did happen. None toward Reaper’s Moon but Reaper’s Moon did manage to pick up a piece of rewrite work late on Day 2. Not where I had hoped to be progress-wise come Day 5. There is still time to pick up the pieces.

I have mentally thwarted by restlessness driven by the hope of getting my own home again. I continue to have no prospects on that front. It is has been over year since I discovered Al-Bisslii was caving in on its self – an issue I could not afford to fix – so I moved out and sold it to someone who could afford to fix the damages. Next week, will mark a year of when I moved in with my sister. While I do not live with her anymore, I certainly had expectations of having my own place by no later than this upcoming mark. If nothing else, this past year and then some of living with others has made me more appreciative of who I am, what I want out of my life, and of my long-standing single gal status. It has made me more aware of how I show love and respect to others and how I expect such in return. I cannot recall when I have actually gotten these things in return where they truly mean something to me. Perhaps that is why I have no interest in living with other people – family relation or not.

As I type this at the write-in, I become very engrossed in the notion of coming here tonight might have been a mistake. Sick, tired, tired and more tired.

There was a write-in on the evening of Day 3 but I did not attend. There is a write-in tomorrow yet not sure I will attend based on my current physical state and frame of mind. Keeping fingers crossed that I will be well enough for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday write-ins so I may be extremely productive like I was on Day 1.

And accountability be damned for the past three days. I fell off of the “wagon” dramatically. I need to figure to stay on course even when sick.

Not sure what my daily word count stats for Days 3 and 4 are but I know the other numbers.

Current Stats
Reaper’s Moon: 1 piece of rework
Elysian & Ether: 74/100
Nightmares & Nevermore: 74/100
Day 5’s Word Count: 1932
Total Word Count: 8,634/50,000

To Dwell or Not to Dwell

I continue to be optimistic about the potential of having my own home by the end of September. So little time until then but I remain vigilant to my goal. It hasn’t been easy. Listings are slim pickings. What homes are listed are incredibly overpriced for the amount of work they need. Sure I could pick up a house in my ideal price range but that $40,000 worth of work it needs to be habitable is entirely unrealistic.

The Realtor promised to keep an idea out for more listings, and to visit any I sent to him that seem viable. I sent him listings and never heard from him. Tuesday, I was at the end of my rope with the situation. Why doesn’t he respond back? I know he got my email. Does he still not take me seriously even though he knows that future house purchases, by way of my mom, could be possible?

I contemplated contacting yet another Realtor (the 5th) but there’s no guarantees that they would take my housing requirements seriously.

Yesterday, my Realtor sent me an email (finally!) asking if this one listing was in my budget. In theory it is but it is also 40% larger in square footage than what I was looking for. I wanted around 600 square feet. It is 1012 square feet. It is slightly more than my mom’s suggested budget. Being that my mom’s budget makes me nervous, I am nervous about this one too.

Despite my reservations towards it, I requested more information and photos. From the ten photos on the listing, it appeared to be in vastly better shape than any of the 8 I looked at in August and the 20 other listings I sent the Realtor since then. The only thing it appears to need are kitchen appliances which is reasonable. If I shop right, I can take care of that for $2,000 or less. Of course, it needs a fresh coat of interior paint. The previous owners were big into nearly neon shades of yellow, pink, purple, and green. For minor repairs, I am willing to consider a slightly more expensive and larger house given the other options out there.

My main issues now are: Will the Realtor drag his feet on getting me the information? Will those providing the cash up front, until a loan can be obtained, drag their feet/demand I look at bigger houses? Will the house be sold before I even get a chance to give it a fair consideration?

The houses, except for those needing $40,000 or more worth of work, are selling very quickly right now.

It has been almost a year since the flood. I have lived with others and chaos for far too long. Something needs to work out for the better here. I am try not to dwell on the matter and just go about the day to day. Yet my optimism is fleeting…

Little Homes, You Torment Me So

The land/house search has not gone well. I found a little plot of land at a tolerable price. Finally figured out who to speak with about what could be placed on land. From there, I witnessed my hopes go up in smoke. No tiny homes, no homes under 750 square feet, and no manufactured or modular homes. These restrictions quickly put the housing potential into a price range I could not afford.

I then expanded my search (and my budget) and ended up in a decently sized town 22 miles north of the land. I found several homes under 900 square feet within my budget. My mom pestered me to expand my budget higher citing that we could always give a lower bid. I did although I thought she was playing a dangerous game. Her idea of max budget is twice what my max budget is. This price increase led to a few more homes yet they seemed like they were in worse shape than the cheaper homes.

Finding a realtor to show me these listings was an issue. I emailed two and never heard anything. Called another who came highly recommended by folks I knew in this town. She did not return my call until August 17th which was too late. I eventually called a real estate office and they connected me to an agent who was there in the office. He was clearly a little nonplussed by my budget and requirements given the tone of his voice. Nevertheless, he promised to show me my listings and some others he’d pull on August 19th.

On August 18th, my mom, my maternal grandmother (who’s visiting from Ohio), and I headed down to the town. It is a 3 hour drive from my mom’s house. We passed through the town to the one I had found land in. For a district boasting a lot of stuff, it had nothing except a lot of fantastically wonderful A-frame houses at prices 10 times more than my budget. If I had the money to build my own small home, it would be an A-frame. Was sort of glad that my idea with the land fizzled so spectacularly though. We went up in the mountains near there to visit Bishop’s Castle. A castle being hand-built outside of San Isabel National Forest. What was built was quite lovely although, for those afraid of heights like myself, it was also very terrifying to tour.

Stayed the night in the town with the houses. Our hotel was only two blocks from the real estate office which was really nice as my mom kept getting lost driving through the town to the hotel. Met up with the realtor at 9am and quickly realized that he did not pull any additional listings. To make matters worse, he did not book the showings until the night before/that morning so some of the listings I had pulled were unable to allow showings. He really did not take me seriously.

The most expensive listing ended up being the worst house. Its floor was caving in, and its entire interior & exterior needed to be redone. The cheapest listing was actually two 576 square foot houses. One of the houses was not considered habitable (no bathroom or kitchen), and had been used as a painting studio if the multicolored paint splatters everywhere are any indication. The interior of the habitable house needed work. The kitchen and ceiling were in horrid shape. The bathroom was badly designed and needed help. The worst thing about both houses, though, were the crappy additions. The houses would have been ‘perfect’ otherwise. Sadly, the amount of repairs they need pushes them well out of my budget and my mom’s “budget”.

My mom and my realtor ended up betraying me though. The realtor found out my mom was considering buying several rental properties once I was established there which meant he no longer had any interest in me, and started kissing her ass. My mom betrayed me because she knew that I wanted a small house yet she later informed me that I could not have a house that small. If I wanted financial help in getting a house, I would have to get one that met her standards for a future rental property/one that had high resale potential. This means a home bigger than 1200 square feet with three bedrooms and two baths. A thousand gallons of NO. Nevertheless, by the time we made it back to her house, I was pissed as hell.

The realtor told my mom that he would scope out other listings for us and let us know if we should come back down again to look at houses. I sent him more listings in my size and price range yesterday. Will not let others’ disregard for my needs deter me from having my ideal home.

After all these years, I have the right to be selfish and put my needs first.

I’ve been dreaming of those two 576 square foot homes. I really wish I had the money to obtain them and fix them up. They are from the late 1800s, and it is so sad to see adorable old homes get disgraced. I do not need two homes but I figure the other one could be finished out then rented. There is an university and several colleges in the town so rentals are a very good thing.

I really wanted to move by the end of September, and have a home setup by the end of October so I could spend all of November writing. I see this want/hope/dream getting more translucent and tarnished as the days go by. Trying really hard to be optimistic. Just incredibly challenging when faced with the reality of my housing prospects. Hoping for a decently sized sum of money (~$50,000) to come my way so I can buy and repair that duo of small houses.